Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ophelia's Apothecary

I received a recommendation from a reader a little while ago to try a couple other brands on Etsy.com. One of which was Ophelia's Apothecary, which happens to be the winner of the poll this week! I always love to hear from readers so I figured, why not give them a shot? I got lucky and happened to notice one day they were having a flash sale on their lip balm, 5 for $10. I couldn't think of a better time to try them out!

Company: Ophelia's Apothecary

Flavors: Passion fruit Rose, Chocolate Orange Truffle, Lemon Cheesecake, Papaya, and Red Velvet. I decided to give Passion fruit Rose a try since I've seen so many other people who have liked it, despite that it had a floral flavor. I have to say it's a very pleasant scent, all I can smell is Rose though and no Passion fruit. It's not my favorite flavor, because it's floral, but it's pretty nice. If you like floral balms, you should definitely try this one. Ever since I obtained my Chocolate Orange balm from Long Winter Farm Soap Co. (the review can be found here) I've been obsessed with it, my boyfriend always says I smell like chocolate ever since I got that balm. I wanted to find another good chocolate orange balm since I'm running low on my other one. I was expecting similar quality from this balm as my other one and I was disappointed. It smells like chocolate with barely any orange. It's not an amazing chocolate smell either, it kind of makes me sick. (I should also mention I'm not the biggest chocolate fan, I only enjoy it occasionally...I know I'm weird.) The Lemon Cheesecake The Lemon Cheesecake is dead on lemon cheesecake, it's really decadent and enjoyable. I like my lemon balms to be a little more lemony but this will do. The Papaya scent is very light, I was hoping for an awesome Papaya balm like my Softlips one (I promise to write about that collection soon) but was disappointed (maybe I should stop comparing new balms to old ones, but then I'd have nothing to base my ratings and opinions off of, right?). The Red Velvet smells just like a nice slice of red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. Again, I'm not a HUGE fan of Red Velvet but do enjoy it occasionally, if you're a red velvet fan you should check this balm out. This is the only time I've ever come across Red Velvet as a balm flavor.

Wear: All of the balms go on crazy smooth and go on like butter. I feel like a good amount goes on per swipe and feels like my lips are really being nourished. What I did notice was that when I kept the Chocolate Orange and Papaya in my pocket, the Papaya was fine but what happened with the Chocolate Orange was horrifying. I twisted up the tube to put some on and when I swiped it across my lips the entire top part that was twisted up came off on my lip. I had a giant glob of balm on my mouth, it was awful. I thought maybe I pushed on it too hard so I tried again and it was super liquidy. I finally gave up and switched balms. The Papaya one had not melted like the Chocolate Orange one, in fact it was still very much intact. The Chocolate Orange one didn't solidify until later that day and is still much softer than the other balms. Despite this set back, not only do my lips feel amazing when these balms go on but they last over 2 hours.

Packaging: They are average weight, oval tubes. I love oval tubes, I just feel that the balm just fits the contour of your lips. The labels have an old-time feel to them. It's hard to describe what they look like, but it's very unique. Also I noticed that only one balm had a waxy/plastic label on it while the other ones were just paper labels. I think by now you all know how I feel about the paper labels. They just don't hold up to frequent use (or cats!).

Price: $4 for one tube, not too shabby but I am glad I got them for $2 a piece because I don't think I'd pay $4 a piece. The flavors just didn't hold up to my expectations. I do love the way my lips feel when I wear it but I wish the flavors were just a bit better.

Overall:
Pros: Packaging, Wear, Unique Flavors, Natural
Cons: More Variety of Flavors, Price is a little steep for the quality (I'd rather pay between $3.25-3.50 for one of these)

Rating: 3 out of 5 twists, if any of these flavors interest you it's worth giving it a shot, they're pretty unique and interesting and your lips will surely thank you afterwords. I'm glad to have them in my collection.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I think I'll pass on this company though. So glad I stumbled on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trish! So happy you enjoy reading the blog as much as I enjoy writing it.

      --The Chapstick Wrangler

      Delete
  2. I just tried to follow the link, it appears even after searching for that shop name, the company doesn't exist on Etsy. :( Not a huge disappointment or anything, since you didn't seem to like these, but I did kinda want to check it out. Was it a relatively new shop? Did it get a lot of negative feedback? I'm trying to understand why it doesn't exist anymore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm..that's strange, maybe they just shut down their Etsy shop? They weren't a new shop, I believe they had close to 15,000 sales so that's pretty large for an Etsy lip balm shop. I did find one of their websites here: http://opheliasoddities.goodsie.com/ but I don't see ver much lip balm. Last I heard they were trying to build up a shop for their products, so perhaps they closed shop for a while to focus on that?

      --The Lip Balm Wrangler

      Delete

Thank you SO much for taking the time to comment, I love reading each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...