Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Twist & Pout

As I said in my last post, I'll be writing about the second balm I picked up while over at Balboa Island today. I was reaching the end of my walk up and down the main street and losing hope that I would find another balm today. I walked into one store and saw these interesting looking lip balms. They were spheres, much more round than those in my lovely eos collection at home. But when I found out the price, $10, for such a small sphere I had to draw the line. 

I decided to try one more store before giving up and when I walked in, I found the same balm once again. The lady in the store was very convincing that I must try the balm because she said it was just amazing. She told me she was selling them for $7.50 and that the six I was admiring were the last ones she had in store. Figuring it was cheaper than the other store (and with some encouragement from my boyfriend) I decided to splurge a little and go for it. I now have the tiny sphere in my possession.


Company: Twist & Pout

Flavor: At first I was expecting Vanilla because the woman behind the counter kept on insisting that the flavor was Vanilla and that they only made the balm in Vanilla. Imagine my surprise when I open the sphere and find that there was no familiar Vanilla smell waiting to greet me. I love Vanilla anything so that was a bit of a disappointment. I couldn't quite put my finger on the exact scent I was smelling since it was quite faint but upon application I figured it was some sort of citrus-y flavor. It reminds me of the Pink Lemonade Lip Smackers I had as a kid. It is a pleasant taste, I feel like they put sugar in it or something because I can't stop licking my lips! It's like candy to me. The sphere I have is a clear balm but they carry a shimmery balm as well. They may also have some other flavors for a different type of balm they carry, it comes in a cute hat-box shaped container which holds the balm instead of a sphere. I've done some looking online so it's possible there's other flavors for that line.


Wear: I wasn't warned beforehand that this balm was similar to a pot of balm which I usually do not like at all. I'm a bit of a germaphobe which automatically means I have no desire to stick unwashed hands over and over into a pot to retrieve my balm nor do I desire to wash my hands every single time I need some lip balm. I also have semi-long nails which makes using these pots highly difficult. However, once I got over the fact that I had to stick my finger in my lip balm, the balm went on smoothly and felt pretty moisturizing once on. It did feel a little grainy which is why I feel like there's sugar or something in it. There is also SPF 20 in it which is always great. It only lasted about 15-30 minutes before I had licked most of it off, but I hadn't applied that much because of how hard it was to put my finger in it. I did find the desire to put it on again as soon as it was gone. 

Packaging: A small sphere, fits in the palm of your hand. The balm is contained in the sphere and acts as a pot of balm. I thought that the balm was going to appear more like my eos balms which was a bit of a let down for me. But the sphere is small and most of them come with a handy clip that could connect to a purse, key ring, etc. I didn't receive a clip with mine however which is a bit disappointing because it's a bit of a hassle to carry a sphere versus a stick with me. I could see the advantages of traveling with it. There's tons of different designs for the spheres that hold the balm which is kind of cool. In my opinion this is more of a gimmicky type of balm. It's supposed to be "fashionable" but if you're like me, you care more about other aspects of the product versus the balm itself looking good. 

Price: I paid $7.50, but found them online with clip for $11.95 from Amazon. So anywhere from $7.50-$11.95. This is pretty steep if you ask me. I like to stick to my usually $3-4, if it's any higher than that I expect much more from the product.

Overall:
Pros: Light scent, good taste, good for travel, has SPF, easy application
Cons: Packaging, price, not long lasting, pot

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 twists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for taking the time to comment, I love reading each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...