Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hugo Naturals

As you've probably read before in some of my posts, I have a good friend who often surprises me with lip balm on random occasions. About a month and a half ago she kept telling me she picked up some lip balms she wanted me to try. Today, I'll review one of the brands from that day. I also went out and purchased the other flavors to give a comparison on flavor and wear.

I know it's so surprising for me to post during the week versus at the end of the week, but I figured I've got an influx of new lip balms coming my way so I better start reviewing!

Company: Hugo Naturals

Flavors: Grapefruit, Vanilla and Sweet Orange, and Pineapple & Coconut. The flavor my friend picked up for me was grapefruit. It has a very, very, very subtle scent which is not surprising since grapefruits are such delicate fruits. It's not a plain balm but definitely not a strong scented balm. The Pineapple & Coconut balm didn't have a scent at all like Pineapple or Coconut, I was really disappointed in this. I love Pineapple and Coconut and was really hoping that this balm would be awesome. The best flavor out of these three was definitely Vanilla and Sweet Orange, you can definitely tell there's a scent of orange in there and a light hint of vanilla. Neither scent is over bearing or stronger than the other, it was a perfect blend.

Wear: Each balm had a different consistency and application which I was also disappointed in and confused about because I figured the balms would all go on in the same manner. The grapefruit one was stiff at first and then went on with only minimal difficulty, it softened up just a little during application. This balm however lasted OVER THREE HOURS, it even lasted through a shower! I was AMAZED. That is the longest I've ever had a balm last before, which is why I had to absolutely purchase the other flavors. Unfortunately, the pineapple & coconut continued to disappoint me. It was absolutely the stiffest balm I've ever tried to use. The balm never softened up and it just felt like I was trying to force a balm on lips, my lips were dragging with it! It felt uncomfortable on my lips and I just had to rub it off. I don't know what was wrong with this particular balm I picked up but it was just dreadful, other tubes may be better I don't know if I just had bad luck with this one or not. The Vanilla and Sweet Orange went on so smooth! It was just a little stiff in the beginning and very quickly softened up. It went on great and lasted very close to 3 hours, my unfortunate habit of eating constantly tends to interrupt how long a balm lasts. I'm really confused as to why three different flavors of balm made by the same company could all be so different when it comes to application and consistency, I had hoped that each product would maintain at least some sort of consistency.

Packaging: I love the packaging on these balms! They look so sophisticated, they're your average size tube of balm but clear with a brown label with a colored band that matches the flavor. You definitely get a natural feel from this balm. I really enjoy the packaging.

Price: About $3.39. A pretty good price, I wished there had been more consistency in the quality of the product however.

Overall:
Pros: Packaging, price, variety of flavors, natural, lasts FOREVER
Cons: Lack of consistency, one balm was awful in comparison to the rest

Rating: 3.5 out of 5, if I was rating just the Vanilla and Sweet Orange I'd say 4.25 out of 5. If you were to go out and buy this balm I'd most definitely recommend the Vanilla and Sweet Orange flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for taking the time to comment, I love reading each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...