Saturday, December 7, 2013

Birchbox: October 2013

Hi everyone! I don't know if you know this or not, but I signed up for Birchbox sometime back in September and my first box (October) was sent to my parents' house in Illinois since we didn't know if we were staying in Seattle or not. I'm starting to expand what I review, and I think that my Birchbox subscription will make an interesting feature each month! (This month there will be 2 or 3, I'm trying to catch up!). Let me know what you think about that. The reviews will also be structured a little differently to cover all the products in the box. Anyway...onto my first Birchbox review!

This month's products: sample size of Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Skin Exfoliant, full size Ruffian Nail Lacquer, Sarahpotempa's The Half-Up, sample size of theBalm Cosmetics' Stainiac in Beauty Queen, and ChapStick's Hydration Lock.

Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Skin Exfoliant- I don't know about you, but I love to exfoliate. I probably do it more often than I should, but I love the feeling after exfoliating and then putting on moisturizer or lotion to make my skin even softer. That being said, I've never tried a "microdermabrasion" exfoliant before, so I was intrigued! I loved using this scrub made out of super small scrubbers (yes, that's what I call the things that go into a scrub). I liked the fine texture of it, it really did seem like a cream at first and I thought it wouldn't do anything, but boy was I wrong! As soon as I started rubbing it onto my face I could feel the tiny little scrubbers going to work. After rinsing and pat drying my face, my skin felt sooo soft! This was different from some of my other scrubs that I use because those feel like they have a little moisturizing component to them, but regardless, my face felt soft. The scrub itself has a very clean, fresh scent...almost citrusy to me. I followed up with a moisturizer and my skin felt just wonderful. A full size of this retails for $78.

Ruffian Nail Lacquer- I haven't used Ruffian polish before, but I'm excited to try it! I haven't tried this yet as my nails currently have another color on them. The polish I received is called "Hedge Fund" and is a muted green with a ton of shimmer in it, almost metallic like, but without any glitter or anything like that. It looks like a great color and I'm eager to try it out! This retails for $10.

Sarahpotempa's The Half-Up- I'll be honest, this thing looks crazy confusing. I do not do hair, trust me, the few times I was asked to do any of the little girls' hair when I was nanny, the moms often redid it as soon as they saw it. I'm just bad with hair! My hair is so plain, usually long and straight, no color, no straightening, no curling, no blow drying. The most I would do with it is braid it or put it in a pony tail or bun. Of course, before I opened this box, I had just donated 12 more inches of my hair (this time was either the 4th or 5th time I donated hair, I lost count!), so using this may prove a little difficult. I tried using this and it just seemed like a more confusing Hair-a-gami if you remember those from like 2001. This retails for $9

theBalm Cosmetics Stainiac in Beauty Queen-When I saw the color of this stain I immediately thought, oh no this is going to be way too red, it looked like blood or something in the tube! But, when I put it on, I was surprised to see that the color was very sheer and very wearable. It just gave my lips a subtle pinkish/red color that was actually buildable so I put on a few more coats until I got it to the color I wanted. This stain is super lightweight and didn't feel crazy drying like some other stains I've tried. This stain also went on easier than some other stains I've tried. You can also use this stain for your cheeks, but I haven't done that yet. I'm sure it would look good though! A full size of this retails for $17.

ChapStick's Hydration Lock- I was super excited to see that a tube of this was included in my box! I had been wanting to try ChapStick's Hydration Lock for a while, but didn't want to buy it in case it was in one of my Birchboxes. The scent is supposed to be Vanilla Creme, which I guess it is, but it just smells very plain to me, maybe a slight vanilla scent. I was more interested in seeing how it would work out on my lips. It does make my lips feel super smooth and soft and seems to provide a great barrier of protection. The tube also says it's supposed to give your lips a fuller and smoother appearance. I think it does smooth my lips out, but I don't really think it makes my lips any fuller. It's also hard for me to say if this actually lasts as long as it says it does (8 hours) as I've been under the weather and runny noses really don't help balm last longer since tissues tend to wipe it off. I wore it when I wasn't sick and it still didn't last that long, maybe if you don't eat or drink for 8 hours haha. This retails for about $3 (at least that's what I've found online).

All in all I was really happy with this Birchbox, I paid $10 for the month and received at least $22 worth of stuff. It was really fun waiting to see what I received this month and being able to try different products that I probably would never have picked up myself (except for the ChapStick, of course).

Are you a makeup box subscriber? Do you subscribe to Birchbox? If you are, what did you think of your box? If you aren't a Birchbox subscriber and are interested in subscribing, please feel free to use my referral link!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for taking the time to comment, I love reading each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...