Thursday, July 5, 2012

Burt's Bees

I had always wanted to try Burt's Bees balms but when I first tried them, I did not like them one bit. I felt they smelled like baby powder and just weren't that great. But everyone was using them like crazy and almost everywhere sells them now. A while ago a reader told me to write a review on Burt's Bee's and I was skeptical about doing it because I had only used one balm by them a couple years ago and I really didn't like it and I didn't want to write a review about how bad Burt's Bees was based on one tube of lip balm. After giving it some thought, I considered purchasing another type of Burt's Bees lip balm. I don't know why it's taken me so long to write about it but I'm finally getting around to it. Here we go!

Company: Burt's Bees

Flavors: Burt's Bees Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter and Burt's Bees Refreshing lip balm. When I first purchased the mango butter one, I thought I'd love it. It was the first balm I had come across that had mango in it. Boy was I disappointed. It had little to no scent and the scent it did have wasn't pleasant at all! It actually kind of grossed me out. I used it once, thought about how much a disappointment and a waste it was, and never looked back. Fast forward 3 years to about a month and a half ago. I was doing my usual lip balm safari, checkin' out the cold and flu aisle. I was looking at Burt's Bees and I just love how the packaging is. I saw the Refreshing flavor and decided I'd give it a shot. Boy, am I glad I did! I LOVED the refreshing balm. It said it was supposed to be grapefruit and I was extremely weary because I've tried so many grapefruit balms in the past and none of them were ever really grapefruit; most of the time the scent was too light to detect anything. This is understandable since grapefruits are such delicately scented fruits, but man oh man did Burt's Bees get it right! It is distinctly grapefruit and it just blows my mind, it's SO wonderful. If you like grapefruit or citrus fruits, do not pass this one up!

Wear: These balms go on SO smooth! They also last at least two hours, fabulous! It goes on evenly and covers easily. I don't know what else to say about these balms but there are no complaints in this department.

Packaging: Everyone has probably seen a Burt's Bees tube. I think they're all gold/yellow tubes with different colored caps meant to match the flavor of the balm. The packaging always looks so neat and pleasing to the eye. Nothing too fancy in this department, but like I always say, you don't need a flashy package to make a great product.

Price: Around $3 a tube which is not bad at all. These balms are also natural so they're definitely worth it for the price.

Overall:
Pros: Grapefruit flavor, wear, packaging, price, natural
Cons: Mango butter

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 twists for the grapefruit flavor and a 2 out of 5 for the mango flavor. I know the balm isn't really supposed to be mango, just that it was made out of mango butter but it was just not pleasing at all to me. Maybe it was an older formula or something, but it just was not my cup of tea. The grapefruit one though, just amazing!

Ingredients: 
For Burt's Bees Refreshing Lip Balm: helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, cera alba (beeswax, cire d’abeille), aroma (flavor)*, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, lanolin, citrus paradisi (grapefruit) seed oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, tocopherol, ammonium glycyrrhizate, canola oil (huile de colza), glycine soja (soybean) oil, limonene. *natural flavor

For Burt's Bees Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter: helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), aroma (flavor)*, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, mangifera indica (mango) seed butter, llanolin, ammonium glycyrrhizinate, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil (huile de colza), limonene, linalool. *natural flavor




Have you tried either of these flavors? What did you think? What other flavors of Burt's Bees would you recommend?

5 comments:

  1. Of all the Burt's Bees flavors, the Mango one is the only one I didn't like. It also seemed to have a different feel than the others. I do love the Grapefruit, Açai Berry and Pomegranate flavors. The grapefruit is the strongest grapefruit scented balm I've ever tried! I thought it would be overwhelming but it's very pleasant!

    Some people swear by the Mango one. It just wasn't for me at all. You should definetly try the Pomegranate and Açai Berry! :)

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely LOVE the grapefruit one. I am still amazed at how wonderfully grapefruit it is. I plan on buying the Acai Berry one this weekend and will probably write up a review sometime on it. I'll also look at the Pomegranate one while I'm at it.

      Thank you for your recommendations!

      --The Lip Balm Wrangler

      Delete
  2. I will second the Acai Berry recommendation. It is a close second for me (following the grapefruit one) for my favorite Burt's Bees lip balm. As far as the pomegranate one goes, I love the texture of it, but I am not a fan of the smell at all. I usually use it under other lip products so that I get the benefits of the product without having to smell it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation, I definitely plan on buying it this weekend if I see it at the store. The smell of the pomegranate one is why I'm a little hesitant about buying it, sometimes pomegranate lip balms have something that I just don't like about it. Using it under another lip product is a great way to mask an unpleasant lip balm smell!

      Thanks for sharing!

      --The Lip Balm Wrangler

      Delete
  3. THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE LIP BALM WRANGLER!!!(:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO much for taking the time to comment, I love reading each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...